Genevieve Arnold (1928-2005)
11am - 5pm
Works from the Permanent Collection, Recent Acquisitions, and Promised Gifts
About Genevieve Arnold
Genevieve Arnold was born in Covington, Georgia in 1928. She received a B.F.A. from Atlanta College of Art in 1951 after studying at Emory University in 1948 and Georgia State University between 1946-1947. In addition to being a recipient of the Georgia Women in the Visual Arts in 1997, Ms. Arnold was also awarded the Travel Award by the Atlanta Arts Alliance in 1964 and received recognition from the Woodruff Arts Center given graciously by the Gilman Paper Company. With several solo exhibitions, including the Fred Reed Gallery in 1959, Atlanta, GA; the New Arts Gallery in 1962, Atlanta, GA; the Jacksonville Art Museum in 1972, Jacksonville, FL; the Heath Gallery in 1987, 1990 and 1994, Atlanta, GA and the Kiang Gallery in 2001, Atlanta, GA, Genevieve Arnold garnered immense artistic praise. In addition, she owned the Arnold Art Gallery at the Omni Hotel in Atlanta and became Director of the Atlanta College of Art Gallery. As an artist, businesswoman and scholar, Genevieve Arnold’s exhibitions at MOCA GA spanned five years and contributed greatly to her artistic legacy. Artists of the Heath Gallery 1965 to 1998, (2002); Celebration Exhibition of the Permanent Collection (2002); Wayne Kline and the Rolling Stone Press (2004-2005) and Genevieve: A Genevieve Arnold Retrospective (2007) exemplified the artists’ distinct viewpoint.
Featured Image: Genevieve Arnold, Blue, 2004, Mixed media on tracing paper mounted on canvas, 60 x 60 inches, Gift of Natalie Gemmill, part of the MOCA GA Permanent Collection.