What is a Docent?
Docents at MOCA GA are trained volunteers who share an interest and love for contemporary art with MOCA GA visitors. The word docent comes from the Latin word docere to teach. Docents teach in the galleries and conduct tours of both the permanent collections and special exhibitions. Tours are prearranged and serve audiences of all ages and interests.
Docent Suggested Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in education, art, art history, museum studies, or a strong passion for the arts-Prior experience with youth groups
- Interest in teaching
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to think on your feet
- Flexibility in schedule to work weekday tours
- Ability to work well in a team environment, in both following directions and presenting programs
- Familiarity with biography, history, and object-based learning
After submitting an applications and interview, Docents are required to attend a 3 class training session. Each training session is three hours long and will take place at the museum. Sessions begin in the early fall and early spring of each year. Check back for specific dates.
Docent Continuing Education
MOCA GA is committed to the continuing education of its docents beyond the initial training. Docents are strongly suggested to attend Artist Talks, Panel Discussions, and other open events.
Apply today! –send you resume to email@example.com