Joseph Almyda (1926-2011) came to Atlanta in 1955 to join Georgia State University’s Art Department after earning his MFA at Florida State University. He was very active in the Atlanta community, promoting institutions that supported contemporary art. In 1965, Almyda left GSU to become a full time artist. He moved back to Florida, and later to Texas, as well as spending time in Mexico, Greece, Italy, Chicago, and Los Angeles.
Alymda widely exhibited his works, particularly in the Southwest. He also had residencies at the Wurlitzer Foundation and Tamarind Institute, NM, where he fell in love with the desert landscape. Almyda began as a figurative artist, but later leaned toward abstraction as did many of his contemporaries. In his last years, Almyda chose to return to Atlanta. His works can be found in numerous museums including the High Museum of Art, GA, Columbus Museum, GA, El Paso Museum of Art, TX, Ft. Lauderdale Museum of Art, FL, and the University of Louisiana Museum, LA.